- To install Docker on Windows, you can’t install the regular and new Docker for Windows, because you have Virtual Box installed! Docker for Windows requires Hyper-V to work. VirtualBox does.
- To install both docker client and virtual machine along with virtual box all in one command, type the following into the shell and hit enter: $ sudo pkg install docker docker-machine virtualbox-ose The reason why we’re setting up docker-machine with the virtual box is that it facilitates management for Docker hosts.
- Install Docker Osx
- Install Docker Virtualbox Ubuntu
- Install Docker On Virtualbox
- Install Docker Vagrant
- Install Docker On Virtualbox Ubuntu
Docker for Windows is theCommunity Edition (CE)of Docker for Microsoft Windows. To download Docker for Windows, head to DockerStore.
What to know before you install
Install VirtualBox. Install Docker Toolbox for Windows. Docker for windows is the Communinity Edition that can be installed from the docker store, however, it needs Hyper V which we have just disabled (or is not available if you are using the home edition). We will therefore install Docker Toolbox for windows from https://docs.docker.com. Notice that docker-ce is not installed, but the candidate for installation is from the Docker repository for Debian 10 (buster). Finally, install Docker: sudo apt install docker-ce Docker is now installed, the daemon started, and the process enabled to start on boot. Check that it’s running: sudo systemctl status docker.
If your system does not meet the requirements to run Docker for Windows, you can installDocker Toolbox, which uses Oracle Virtual Box instead ofHyper-V.
- README FIRST for Docker Toolbox and Docker Machine users: Docker for Windows requires Microsoft Hyper-V to run. The Docker for Windows installer enables Hyper-V for you, if needed, and restart your machine. After Hyper-V isenabled, VirtualBox no longer works, but any VirtualBox VM imagesremain. VirtualBox VMs created with
defaultone typically created during Toolbox install) no longer start. These VMscannot be used side-by-side with Docker for Windows. However, you can still use
docker-machineto manage remote VMs.
- Virtualization must be enabled in BIOS and CPU SLAT-capable. Typically, virtualization is enabled by default. This is different from having Hyper-V enabled. For moredetail see Virtualization must beenabled in Troubleshooting.
- The current version of Docker for Windows runs on 64bit Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise and Education (1607 Anniversary Update, Build 14393 or later).
- Containers and images created with Docker for Windows are shared between all user accounts on machines where it is installed. This is because allWindows accounts use the same VM to build and run containers.
- Nested virtualization scenarios, such as running Docker for Windowson a VMWare or Parallels instance, might work, but come with noguarantees. For more information, seeRunning Docker for Windows in nested virtualization scenarios
- What the Docker for Windows install includes: The installation provides Docker Engine, Docker CLI client, Docker Compose, Docker Machine, and Kitematic.
About Windows containers
Install Docker Osx
Looking for information on using Windows containers?
- Switch between Windows and Linux containers describes the Linux / Windows containers toggle in Docker for Windows and points you to the tutorial mentioned above.
- Getting Started with Windows Containers (Lab)provides a tutorial on how to set up and run Windows containers on Windows 10 orwith Windows Server 2016. It shows you how to use a MusicStore application withWindows containers.
- Docker Container Platform for Windows Server 2016 articles and blog posts on the Docker website
Install Docker for Windows desktop app
Double-click Docker for Windows Installer.exe to run the installer.
If you haven’t already downloaded the installer (
Docker for Windows Installer.exe), you can get it from download.docker.com. It typically downloads to your
Downloads folder, or you can run it from the recent downloads bar at the bottom of your web browser.
Follow the install wizard to accept the license, authorize the installer, and proceed with the install.
You are asked to authorize
Docker.appwith your system password during the install process. Privileged access is needed to install networking components, links to the Docker apps, and manage the Hyper-V VMs.
Click Finish on the setup complete dialog to launch Docker.
Start Docker for Windows
Install Docker Virtualbox Ubuntu
Docker does not start automatically after installation. To start it, search forDocker, select Docker for Windows in the search results, and click it (orhit Enter).
When the whale in the status bar stays steady, Docker is up-and-running, andaccessible from any terminal window.
If the whale is hidden in the Notifications area, click the up arrow on thetaskbar to show it. To learn more, see Docker Settings.
If you just installed the app, you also get a popup success message withsuggested next steps, and a link to this documentation.
When initialization is complete, select About Docker from the notificationarea icon to verify that you have the latest version.
Congratulations! You are up and running with Docker for Windows.
Where to go next
- Getting started introduces Docker for Windows.
- Get started with Docker is a tutorial that teaches you how to deploy a multi-service stack.
- Troubleshooting describes common problems, workarounds, and how to get support.
- FAQs provides answers to frequently asked questions.
- Stable Release Notes or Edge Release Notes.
This post is older than a year. Consider some information might not be accurate anymore.
Working with Windows sucks. Working with Docker and Windows also sucks. Working in a company with Docker and Windows sucks big time. Besides security and proxy everything is a hassle, because connectivity, filesystem or permissions might not work out of a box. Too many workarounds for docker freshmen. So I decided to run docker in a CentOS virtual machine. That is the closest thing to RHEL. This post demonstrates how to get Docker installed and properly configured, so you can work with docker with great pleasure .
- Run Hello Docker
First step is to create a custom repo for docker:
Download latest repo information
Run Hello Docker
Install Docker On Virtualbox
Run hello world
Bypass with proxy
Install Docker Vagrant
This section assumes you are using CNTLM as single proxy solution. Otherwise you need to replace it with your real proxy data.
Create custom settings for docker
We add the proxies for http and https. Additionally if you run an internal docker registry, put it on the
Reload and check
It it mandatory to restart
Run hello world again
Install Docker On Virtualbox Ubuntu
Have fun with Docker under Linux!