Setting up SSH on a Custom Linux Docker Container I had some Azure App Services for Containers and when I wanted to SSH, it was giving this annoying error: SSH CONNECTION CLOSE - Error: connect ECONNREFUSED:2222. Oct 24, 2019 Method 3: Use SSH to Connect to a Docker Container. You can connect to a Docker container using SSH (Secure Shell). Normally, SSH is used to connect remotely over a network to a server. The technology works the same when connecting to a virtual Docker container on your system. Method 3: Use SSH to Connect to a Docker Container. You can connect to a Docker container using SSH (Secure Shell). Normally, SSH is used to connect remotely over a network to a server. The technology works the same when connecting to a virtual Docker container on your system. Apr 20, 2021 This guide will show you three methods to SSH into a Docker container and run commands. The latest release of the RHEL 8 / CentOS 8. Red Hat has built its own tools, buildah and podman, which aim to be compatible with existing docker images and work without relying on a daemon, allowing the creation of containers as normal users, without the. # docker attach container-name So in our case, we'll run: # docker attach nginx-bg. This should drop you into bash shell by default. Ssh into a running container. If you want to ssh to a running Docker container, you need container IP address or hostname configured on /etc/hosts or valid DNS record in your network.
Learn how to install SSH to a Docker container and how to SSH to other Docker containers.
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
This article contains instructions on how you can get a Docker container to connect with other Docker containers using SSH. Please feel free to comment/suggest if I failed to mention one or more important points.
Following are the key points described later in this article:
- Instructions to Install SSH
- Techniques to Enable SSH on the Existing Container
- Techniques to SSH to Running Container
Instructions to Install SSH
If you already have a running container, and you would like to SSH it and allow other Docker containers to connect via SSH, the following is a set of instructions to install SSH:
If you do not have yum installed on your docker, download it using wget. Alternatively, the above works fine on CentOS containers.
Techniques to Enable SSH on the Existing Container
Install Ssh Into Docker Container
Once done with the above, it is time to run the SSH Daemon.
- Go to the folder consisting of above created files such as set_root_pw.sh and run.sh
- Change the mode using following command:
chmod +x ./*.sh
- Execute the run.sh script by executing it on the shell prompt:
- It is advisable to run it using nohup such that sshd runs in the background.
Once done with above, it is time to expose port 22 from the container. The following is how you would expose the 22 port:
- Exit from the container
- Commit the Docker container image using command:
- Run a new container using the committed image using following command:
Techniques to SSH to Running Container
Once you've installed SSH on an existing container and exposed port 22 using the steps above, do the following in order to test SSH from another container:
- Follow above steps to install SSH, configure and expose port 22
- If you want to connect without having need to enter password, execute the following command:
ssh-keygen -t rsa
cat ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub ssh
@ Once done with above, go ahead and test SSH connection using SCP:
- scp /tmp/somefile.txt <usernameof other docker container>@<ip of other docker container>:/tmp
- Executing above would send the file to /tmp folder of other docker container
Install Ssh On Docker Containers
I hope you found this article useful and helpful in having one Docker container connect to other Docker containers using SSH. Please feel free to share your comments.docker,containers,ssh,cloud,cloud security
Published at DZone with permission of Ajitesh Kumar, DZone MVB. See the original article here.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.
Install Ssh On Docker Container List
Popular on DZone