It cannot be denied that open source projects are attractive, partly because they are usually free to use. However, every coin has two sides, so does freeware. Soundflower, for example, is an open-source utility for Mac OS, designed to create a virtual audio output device than can also act as an input.
It is great that you can capture the sound from outside sources as well as audio streams using the utility, but you have to download Soundflower from a reputable source and install it correctly. Moreover, we are going to share the best 10 alternative methods to record audio in this post.
- Jul 17, 2009 Choose “Soundflower (2ch)” as both the audio input and audio output. Open up the Garageband program and choose the Preferences (GarageBandPreferences). Click the Audio/MIDI icon. Choose the audio output that you wish to hear the GarageBand output from, again, in our example we’re using the USB headset. The Input should be set to.
- 在 应用程序 - 实用工具 里面找到“音频 MIDI 设置” 2点左下角“+”，新建一个“聚集设备”，勾选右边的“内建麦克风”和“Soundflower(2ch)”。 3. 再新建一个“多输出设备”，勾选“内建输出”和“Soundflower(2ch)”。 4.
Therefore, the following part will start with how to install Soundflower. How to install Soundflower 1. Download the latest version of Soundflower and complete the installation. Configure Soundflower to open up System sound and click on Sound. From the output panel, choose the Soundflower (2ch) as the output audio preference.
Soundflower Alternative Windows Mac
Part 1: Best Alternative to Soundflower
According to our research, many people said that Soundflower is not working on Windows or Mac. If you are looking for the best alternative solution, we will recommend Aiseesoft Screen Recorder. Its advantages include:
- Capture audio files from your hard drive or any portable devices.
- Record online audio from YouTube, Soundcloud, Apple Music, etc.
- Save audio outputs in MP3, WMA, AAC, M4A and other audio formats.
- Use hotkeys to control the process, and make snapshots when recording audio files.
- Pre-listen to the output with the built-in media player.
All in all, Screen Recorder is the best alternative to Soundflower to record music or sound files on your computer.
How to use Screen Recorder
Step 1 Install Screen Recorder on your computer
There are two versions of Screen Recorder, one for Windows and the other for Mac. Download and install it on your computer. Then launch the utility and select Audio Recorder in the main interface.
Step 2 Record the sound from your system audio or microphone
Decide to capture the sound from system audio or microphone based on your need. To customize other settings, like output format and quality, hit the gear icon to open the Preferences dialog.
Step 3 Save the audio output as you wish
After setting, click on the REC button and play the audio file to start recording it. When it is done, press the stop icon, you will be taken to the media player window. If you are satisfied with the result, export it to your computer.
Alternatively, you are able to use audio editor to get a further editing for your audio file.
Part 2: Other 9 Soundflower alternatives software
In addition to Screen Recorder, you can learn more options to record audio files from different sources and mix them together without Soundflower.
1. Compatible with Windows 10/8/7/XP/Vista
2. Support up to 5 audio sources, including 3 physicals and 2 virtual channels.
3. Record audio from DVD players, USB MIC, video game, iTunes, etc.
4. Use the multi-channel EQ to drive Stereo P.A. Systems.
5. Export outputs in WAV, AIFF, MP3, M4A, MOV and other popular audio formats.
1. This Soundflower alternative on Windows contains a wide range of custom options.
2. It is free to download and use.
1. It is complicated and requires several hours to grasp.
1. Turns your iOS device to an audio recorder.
2. Use music apps together by passing live audio and MIDI.
3. Create your own music by chaining effects, record and layer performances.
4. Adjust levels and balance for each audio source to get the perfect sound.
5. Compatible with over a thousand apps.
1. This Soundflower alternative for iOS is downloadable in the App Store.
2. You can control it with gestures easily.
1. You have to purchase it before downloading.
iShowU Audio Capture
1. The Instant version is $24 and the Studio version is $79.
2. Integrate a compressor, audio processor, and an audio adjust equalizer.
3. Available to Mac OS high sierra or later.
4. Record audio from almost all popular devices as it supports multichannel input.
5. Extract audio from videos easily.
1. The output quality is pretty good.
2. This alternative to Soundflower on Mac OS high sierra supports plentiful output formats.
1. It is a bit expensive.
1. Combine audio and videos from different sources flexibly.
2. Convert audio or video files.
3. Split multimedia files into clips and save them separately.
4. Process multiple media tracks at once.
5. Repair MP3 files using advanced technology.
1. This Soundflower alternative supports a variety of add-ons.
2. It offers various versions to meet users’ different needs.
1. You have to purchase the software, including the standard version.
1. Capture all the audio sources on Mac computer and mix them together.
2. Record the sound from specific app.
3. Adjust the volume of each app independently.
4. Send audio from one app to another.
5. Available to Mac OS X 10.11 or above.
1. This alternative to Soundflower is flexible and easy to use.
2. The developer releases update frequently.
1. Some features need extra apps.
1. Enhance the sound from any USB or FireWire device with network connection.
2. Isolate and capture audio from apps.
3. Monitor audio devices and channels from anywhere on the system.
4. Support the drag-and-drop command.
5. Provide security settings to control distribution of audio.
1. This Soundflower alternative is available to Windows 10/8/8.1/7 and Mac OS 10.2 or later.
1. This app is expensive.
2. It needs internet connectivity.
1. Record audio from your microphone, any websites or apps.
2. Set the parameters of each audio source separately.
3. Burn CDs with online music with the Built-in CD burner.
4. Wake your Mac and start recording after setting the automatic timer.
5. Integrate ID3 tag.
1. The interface is intuitive.
2. There is no standard workflow and people can use this alternative to Soundflower in various ways.
1. It is only compatible with the latest Mac computers.
1. Create a list of virtual audio devices as input drives.
2. Offer a unique set of audio sources for each virtual device.
3. Record multiple audio input sources and mix sound playback.
Soundflower 2ch Vs 64ch
4. Work well with other apps on Mac OS.
5. Include a powerful 16-channel option.
1. Loopback contains more useful features than Soundflower.
2. The interface is simple and easy to use.
1. It is pricey and does not provide free trail.
Dante Virtual Soundcard
1. Turn your machine to a virtual device.
2. Capture sound from any audio devices and apps on computer.
3. Customize audio quality and other options.
4. Support a wide array of devices.
1. The interface is pretty easy to use.
2. This alternative to Soundflower is able to detect the audio devices via USB cable and internet network.
1. It runs automatically after your computer restarts.
Part 3: FAQs of Soundflower Alternative
1. Does Soundflower work on Mojave?
Yes. Soundflower is fully compatible with macOS Mojave. It can work on macOS 10.10, 10.11 and macOS Catalina.
2. Does Soundflower work on Windows?
No. Soundflower has been designed exclusively for Mac and it is not compatible with Windows. If you want to use this software on Windows, you can try its alternatives like Voicemeeter Banana, Dante Via and Virtual Audio Cable.
3. Is Soundflower safe?
Yes. Soundflower is safe and free from viruses. Users will not encounter any problems when using it, for this software is specially designed for Mac.
Now, you should grasp at least 10 best alternatives to Soundflower. You can record audio from any devices and apps on your computer with the software. They all have unique benefits and advantages.
Aiseesoft Screen Recorder, for example, is able to provide the best audio quality. Moreover, it is simple to use. Dante Via and iShowU Audio Capture provides extensive custom options. AudioBus is the alternative to Soundflower on iOS devices. You can find the most proper program based on your needs and our reviews.
If you have more questions, feel free to leave your messages below this article.
What do you think of this post?
Rating: 4.5 / 5 (based on 150 votes)
September 30, 2020 14:20 / Updated by Andrew Miller to Media Recorder
- Top 6 M4A Audio Editor (Free & Paid) to Edit M4A Files as a Pro
When you want to edit M4A audio files, an M4A editor is needed. This article shows 6 best M4A editing software to edit your M4A files on Windows and Mac easily.
- How to Use Windows 10 Secret Screen Recorder
Many people don't know that there exists a secret screen recorder on Windows 10. This article will show you where to find this secret screen recorder and how to use it to record your computer screen.
- Best 8 Voice Recorders to Record iPhone Call/Conversation
This page collects 8 practical voice recorders for iPhone, so that you can easily keep and share your call or conversation recordings on iPhone. Free and paid sound recorders will be available in this post.
In this tutorial I am going to show you how to route your computer’s system audio output into a piece of audio recording software. Some potential situations that you would want to do this for would be as follows. What if you needed to record the audio from a Skype or FaceTime session? Or you wanted to do some creative re-sampling of a piece of audio? Maybe you want to record something from the web like Tone Generator (a frequency generation tool only available on the web), like a student and I did for RAW (Reed Arts Week) recently. You could also use it for a live situation where you wanted to capture everything you did on your computer.
Soundflower is an excellent open sourcesolution. Soundflower already exists on most lab machines on campus. In general, computer UI’s have chosen to use physical metaphors to make the user interface easier to understand. For example,“folders” or “desktop” instead of “directory”. So, Soundflower is a program that allows you to internally route audio via “virtual audio cables” (file paths) from your computer’s system output to recording software.
Soundflower creates a virtual “audio device” on your machine that your audio system can see. Soundflowerbed allows you to monitor Soundflower’s output through your computer’s internal speakers or headphone output. Soundflowerbed is good to use in conjunction with Soundflower, as it will allow you to hear the sound of the audio you are routing.
Soundflower and Soundflowerbed can be downloaded from here. There is also access to a more recent beta version of Soundflower without Soundflowerbed here. (Note: use this only if you already have Soundflowerbed installed as it will only update/ install Soundflower.)*
Here is an example using Quicktime, although this workflow should work with any recording program. This example assumes you have Soundflower and Soundflowerbed already installed.
Step One – Initiate Soundflower: Open System Preferences
Step two: Go to Sound
Step three: Select Soundflower (2ch) under your system Output settings.
Another way to adjust your sound output/input settings is through one of my favourite shortcuts on a mac. If your sound icon is not in your menu bar you need to make sure the “Show volume in menu bar” box is checked as is circled in the above example.
Once checked and in the menu bar simply Option + Click on the speaker icon and choose Soundflower (2ch) in your drop down window under Output device.
Step four – Connecting to your audio recording app: Open Quicktime and select “New Audio Recording” from you drop down window in the menu bar
Step five: Choose Soundflower (2ch) as your audio recording device from the audio input selector triangle
Step five: In order to be able to have the sound pass through through your internal speakers you need to open Soundflowerbed as mentioned earlier. You can find this application in your Applications folder (Applications > Soundflower> Soundflowerbed ). Once opened an icon for Soundflowerbed will appear in your menu bar.
Step 6: Click on the icon and under Soundflower (2ch) choose “Built-in Output”.
Finally, press record in Quicktime and any audio coming out of your computer will be recorded into Quicktime. The keyword is any so make sure you turn off all alerts and any internal sounds that you do not want to record. When you are done recording be sure to return to your sound settings and change back to your preferred system output.
Soundflower is a good tool to have in your audio toolbox. You can find it in the PARC in room 327 and on various other computers around campus.
As always, come by the PARC with any questions or email me at [email protected] and stay tuned for more tool talk in other posts.